Wednesday, March 18, 2009

For the Love of Homemade Vegetable Soup

Do you remember the dreaded homemade veggie soup when you were a kid? I sure do. As soon as I saw my mother emptying the fridge of all the leftover veggies and tossing them into one big pot, I knew what I and my four siblings were in for. (And this almost always followed a dinner of a large pot roast from the night before.)

In the midst of the whining, I'd pick out and gobble up the beef, green beans and the corn, but then I'd stare cross-eyed at the rest of the mess for an hour, fighting the next bite. My brothers and sister were just as bad as me. And yes, you guessed it, now we love the stuff! Go figger.

Last week something divinely comical happened, in regards to this soup. I gave a speech to a bunch of sweet little ladies and I began it with this cute joke: "A Sunday School Teacher asked little Johnny; "Now, Johnny, tell me the truth, do you say prayers before eating?"
"No ma'am," little Johnny replied, “I don't have to. My mom is a good cook .”

I immediately followed that introduction with a statement that my mom is a good cook, too. I went on to describe how she makes the best homemade vegetable soup ever, but back when I was a kid I didn't like it at all. As a matter of fact, I knew I was called to be a missionary when I was only 8 years old. One day, while pouting over a bowl of that stuff and listening to mt mother's reminder of how: “You should be grateful to have that soup. There are starving children in India who would love to be eating it right now,” I got a bright idea.

I found a shoebox, put my bowl of soup in it, wrote “INDIA” on the outside, taped it shut and stuck it in our mailbox!

Yep - I was destined to become a missionary. (But so far, not overseas.)

When my mom called a few days ago and asked how my speech went, I told her it went well, and then I proceeded to share my veggie soup tale.

She couldn't stop laughing.

Yes, it was funny, but not that funny.

Finally, when she came up for air, she told me why she was laughing so hard. It seems the same day as my speech, and even the same hour of it, she was eating some homemade vegging soup. And, she had my niece and her 2 young children over for lunch. And...not only did my niece gobble up her soup, but her 2 kids gobbled it up, too. They even asked their mom to ask great grandma how to make it so they could have it again soon.

Go figger.

No comments:

 
Content Copyright Connie Cameron; All rights reserved
Site by Eagle Designs